In Memory of Helen Hirst (1931 - 2021)


My Grandma loved Christmas. Well, she loved Jesus, presents, parties and all the activity that goes along with celebrating each. One thing that was very important to her was a full Christmas tree of presents. So whether she had a lot of money or just a bit, she found a way to fill that tree. Sometimes that meant getting individual pairs of socks wrapped rather than simply having the whole package wrapped. But while we got our share of socks and underwear from Grandma, she also came through with the toys and other things that kids love so much. 

I remember one year when we dared the cold to visit my grandparents in Minot, North Dakota, where Grandpa was a pastor, she pulled out all the stops. On Christmas Eve she convinced someone, I still don't know who she wrangled, to dress up as Santa and bring my brother and I each a gift in person. 

But not to be outdone, one steamy Summer on our visit back to the US from Argentina, where my parents served as missionaries, she surprised us by hosting a full Christmas celebration in July. You can't imagine my excitment in getting two Christmas celebrations in one year! Nothing was spared. 

Jesus gave her a love for people and a "get it done" attitude. That served her well as she served others alongside Grandpa at various churches across the country. In many of the smaller churches where they served, the pastor's wife is the event coordinator, wedding planner, interior decorator and anything else needed to create a space for physical and spiritual community. That meant that most of my memories of her were moments when she was planning, coordinating, cajoling, motivating, reminding and so on. Sometimes it was appreciated and sometimes not so much. At my wedding, that my Grandpa officiated, Grandma had a very hard time not jumping in and taking charge. Somehow we convinced her that the planning was all done and she could simply enjoy the service, but for her "doing" was part of the enjoyment. 

Just like the Christmas in July, the well orchestrated New Years Eve Party (my Grandpa's birthday was on New Year's Day), and the picnics in countless parks wherever they lived, her gifts took many forms. One way she was generous to me was by supporting the nonprofit causes and campaigns I was involved in. On many occasions Grandma gave a small but meaningful gift when I made appeals on facebook or via email to support the work of the organizations I served. 

There is one final gift I would like to share as I remember my Grandma. In 2013 I was one year into my first CEO role. It was new territory for me and there was a steep learning curve. On either Christmas or my birthday (I can't remember which) she sent me a business book. Socks or sweaters I expected, but "Making It All Work" by David Allen was not a gift I thought my Grandma would ever send me. I suppose it fits her "get it done" attitude and she was trying to encourage me in my new role. For that I am so grateful. But it is the note inside the book that means much more than what David had to say. Here is what she wrote me: 

Dear Jon, 
Praying you will have the hand of God directing you. 
Only apply those things that God would be pleased with. (referring to the book) 
Love you and pray God will use you and Mindy to first of all follow Him, 
raise a Godly family and always have your eyes fixed on Godly ways. 
 Love, Grandma

That note is indicative of who she was. First, she depended on God and looked to Him for direction. Second, she was a practical person who wanted to see things get done. She wasn't a deep thinker but she was a faithful doer. And her legacy of faithfully following God and serving Him is one that continues to inspire me. 

It's only fitting that Grandma went to be with Jesus on Christmas Day. But before joining Grandpa in Heaven she went to a party on Christmas morning! 

Comments