Because it is mostly a way to reconnect with a different part of my life, I don't follow soccer all the time. I save my interest and investment for the World Cup (which just ended with Argentina losing to Spain). And while I have cheered for Argentina during the World Cup over many years, the last two times have been the most fun in many years. Led by their star, Messi, the team has grown under excellent coaching and become a global powerhouse again after some years of mediocre play.
In 2022 Argentina beat France in a glorious nail-biter that went all the way to penalty kicks. In 2026, it wasn't so glorious. They defended well but hardly showed up at all on the offense. It will likely be Messi's last World Cup. But he leaves behind a very talented team that will likely be competitive next time as new players step into the spotlight.
But I want to set aside the analysis of the World Cup competition and talk about the issue that always comes up when a superstar decides to play one more round. The situation I'm describing is a common one. An athlete distinguishes themselves, step onto the big stage, perform heroically, and then they have to decide how to exit. Some wipe out in scandal. Others get injured and slowly fade away. For those who stay the course, the two biggest questions become, "When do I step out of the spotlight and what impact have I made in the world through my contribution?"
We all can give examples of athletes who have stayed too long. In the end, it is all they know. As highly competitive people, they are compelled to continue striving, even when they know they can't compete at the level needed to win.
Some go out on a high note. They know that the next win will be much harder and decide to "go out on top." While they may have had more to offer, they also understand their limitations.
All these choices go into the mix as people assess an athlete's legacy. Is there a right way to leave a legacy? Should Messi have wrapped up his World Cup career with his win or given it one more try? What might have happened to the team if he hadn't been there? Would they have struggled? Would they have thrived? Were there other ways for Messi to contribute or would anything other than his iconic "walk, burst, pivot, score" been a distraction?
As I watched this World Cup, I was thinking about these questions. It has left me with a few observations about leaving a legacy:
- Legacy's are not passive. What you leave to others is determined by how you live. That means that the choices you make and the way you live will be central to the legacy you leave.
- The nature of your legacy is more art than science. There is no formula. It isn't the same for everyone. But a life-giving legacy starts with honesty.
- Those who leave a legacy that matters understand the moment. They are aware of themselves and their surroundings. That awareness allows them to assess the unique moment they are living in, their past, and the future the desire for those they love. This assessment helps them make the difficult decisions about when to press forward, when to back away, and how to offer their contribution to the world in a way that will continue to have an impact.
- The motives behind a legacy determine the significance of the contribution. If someone's heart is for personal recognition and fame over the good and growth of others, it will have a permanent impression on their legacy. You can't hide selfishness in the end.
- Every legacy has a WHY. Just as we have a WHY in life that the motivational speakers are always trying to get us to discover, our legacy is driven by something. Those who discover that WHY and own it early are more likely to see the decisions towards the end in light of that bigger purpose.
So what legacy will Messi leave? I think he, along with the rest of the world, is figuring that out. But his legacy is not my main concern. In the end, I'm only responsible for one legacy. That is mine. Am I thinking about my legacy right, even today?
I'm thinking about this question and invite you to do the same. Please share your thoughts about legacy as a response to this post or with those who you interact with regularly. Be a Generous Mind as you process what it means to leave a legacy.
.png)
Comments