My Act of Resistance is Innovation


We are living in a world agitated by protest. People, especially the younger generations, are growing restless with a world that simply isn't working for them. As they rage, we see their raised fists and angry chants on our televisions and news feeds. 

When the world sows injustice, it is natural to resist and seek fairness and dignity. I recognize this, but while a part of me wants to rage against struggles in my own life or in the world around me, another part of me sees the world through the lens of New Creation. 

With that lens, I see beyond the struggles of the moment and I imagine how God is making all things new. I see an opportunity to be involved in co-creation with God to solve the injustices of the moment with a God-sized solution. It is no less a revolutionary response, but it is resistance aligned with the life-giving ways of Jesus. 

Recently, JJ Heller released a song that captures this idea. In her latest single, "Gardening," she paints the picture of someone who is frustrated with the world, has little power to change what they see in the news and so turns to a life-giving action that they can do . . . gardening. 

This bit of the lyrics are so powerful:

"My arms can’t hold the worries of this world
But still I am afraid of letting go
When life is overwhelming
And I start to lose my hope

I’m gonna walk outside
Put my hands in the dirt
Gonna lay a seed in the broken earth
Wait for the sun
Pray for the rain
My act of resistance is gardening"


While I'm not much of a gardener, this song has gripped me because she brings to life the challenge I described above. The person in the song sees injustice and sorrow, looks for what they can do that is in their control and affirms a life giving activity as their response. They invest in new life, look to the sun and rain for sustenance and then celebrate the beauty and bounty that comes from a well nurtured garden. 

As an innovator, I have the same opportunity. I see problems and struggles all around me. I can rage against the injustice, or I can pick up my innovation tool box and get to work affirming truth and life-giving solutions by exploring new possibilities. 

Don't hear me saying that there isn't a place for protest. I'm not saying that, but I am saying that after our lament and our anguish we need to turn to co-creating solutions that address the injustice in a way that is aligned with Kingdom coming. 

What is your response to injustice? Is innovation one of the things you are open to pursuing? If not, I would encourage you to try it. Turning lament into new prototypes is surprisingly life-giving. It validates your emotions but focuses them on new possibilities. 

It is also true to the stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Resistance happens throughout as we wrestle with loosing something dear to us. But the grief process can also include the search for new solutions as we wrestle with our loss. 

So what will your act of resistance look like? Will you chose to resist injustice by bringing something new to life? I hope you will. 

Comments