Generous Minds in Action During Transitions

Photo by Kyle Glenn on Unsplash


Ever since I announced my transition last week, I've been taking a master class in how to be a Generous Mind in a transition. The amazing outpouring of love, support and encouragement has been a huge help in an intense time. 

As I've reflected on all the ways my family, friends, coworkers and connections have been generous with me, I thought it would be worthwhile to document some of the key ways I've seen people be Generous Minds in my life as I've shared about my job transition. 

Generous Minds . . . 

  • are quick to share words of encouragement.
  • find ways to appreciate the person's contribution and affirm their work.
  • open up their networks and look for connections that will help the person reach their goals. 
  • check in and make themselves available with their time. 
  • ask good questions that help the person in transition to process what has happened and what is next.
  • make observations that help the person to make decisions in transition. 
  • take time to brainstorm with the person and help them imagine a new future. 
  • ask about how the person and their family are doing (beyond professional interest).
  • share articles or other resources to help the person in their transition.
  • pray with the person and acknowledge the spiritual needs and growth opportunities the transition presents.
I've experienced all these things in the last 7 days! 

Who is in transition in your life? What might it look like for you to be a Generous Mind as they go through this unsettling time? 

Comments