Value: Humility

Humility is a dangerous virtue to value—at least it’s dangerous to talk about it. As soon as you do, you realize how much you have to grow in that area and it’s out there for all to see! But it’s still important to being a generous mind and hence I write this post in spite of my reservations.

If you want to hear from God, it’s important to be humble. Psalm 25:9 says, “He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way.” (NIV) How I need to know what is right and understand his way! Without understanding, life can seem like a muddled mess.

But it’s more than just for my personal benefit. When I am humble and learn from God, I can share those lessons with others. Words are such a powerful force. I remember times in my life when I did not have the resources to reach out to God on my own, but someone came along and spoke truth into my life. The words were healing to me—exactly what I needed to hear.

Matthew 11:25-26 (NIV) says, “At that time Jesus said, ‘I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26 Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.’”

Children want to share. “Look, Daddy,” they say and, “Mom, watch me!” They spend endless minutes recounting the last show they watched or the intricate plot of the book they read. They want you to know. They have both the humility to learn from God and the internal drive to share it with others.

Our Savior also had the humility to learn from the Father and share it with us. “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”

How do you think humility helps in the learning and sharing process?

Comments

david.haron said…
Humility is most certainly an important aspect of learning and sharing. I find that I often lack the motivation to share with people that don't have the humility to listen to what I'm saying. It seems to me as though humility is truly a value that fosters healthy communication from both sides. For effective communication to exist in any given relationship humility must be present on both sides. Arguably, the efficiency of communication in a relationship may be determined by the amount of humility demonstrated on either side.