Millions die every year without accepting His grace, so was God unfair to them? Here are some things we know:
- Romans 2:6 says God will judge everyone. That means that we are all treated fairly before God. We must account for the sin in our life.
- Romans 1:20 declares that God's creation speaks for Him and gives no one excuse. This means that simply by looking out our window and experiencing this world, we have the ability to find God if we are looking.
- Proverbs 1:20 says that wisdom is proclaiming truth in the streets. God is a proactive redeemer looking for those with humble hearts. His grace is free and available to all and He wants all to be free of the sin that keeps us from Him.
- Matthew 28:19 asks those who know him to go and make disciples. Not only is God engaged in redeeming supernaturally but he has mobilized us with His Holy Spirit to bring the message to those who need it.
These passages encourage me that God is a just God. He judges equally and gives opportunity equally. And he takes many approaches to engage those who have not yet heard.
So why are there over 2 billion who have never heard Jesus' name? Well, here are some thoughts:
- Many are deceived by the Devil and are living in a cloud that doesn't allow them to see what God desperately wants them to see.
- Others have decided to make their hearts hard and resist the truth. Remember that God gives us free will and allows us to make that choice.
- Others will hear when we obediently tell them and are waiting for Christians to respond.
- But all have the opportunity to consider God's truth if they seek it out.
So, on this day of raising awareness for the unreached, the main response on our part should not be guilt that we have not done more. It should be...
- recognition that God is just, fair and loving.
- thankfulness that our God is a diligent and persistent Savior.
- commitment to joyfully and obediently respond to God's leading in engaging the unreached.
It is fitting to end with this passage from Isaiah:
"he says, "It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth." Isaiah 49:6