Learning from Jim Reapsome, walking with Jesus

Jim Reapsome
Jim Reapsome went to be with Jesus on June 26, 2017. The idea of Jim and Jesus walking together brings a smile to my face. In his book, 10 Minutes a Day with Jesus, Jim shared his personal desire and his desire for each of his readers so well when he said, “Ultimately, my prayer is not only that you will love Jesus more wholeheartedly, but also that your life will reflect his values and commitments. God’s purpose for all of Christ’s followers is that they will become like him.”

That was Jim’s heart. And out of that heart of surrender to God, Jim developed a deep love and passion for being on mission. As a journalist, that passion came out through a life-time of words. In the book, Innovation in Mission, that Jim and I co-edited, he said it well, “Christianity is humanity’s greatest and most noble cause, and it too has a mandate…The mandate of a Christian is to recognize God’s glory and then to obediently use personal talents to make him known to others. Missions is no more and no less.”

Jim embodied this commitment to “use personal talents.” He crafted the English language into prose that walked the dusty roads of reality, inspired soaring vision, and searched the heart. Whether he was serving the Army, the Garland Daily News, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, The Sunday School Times, Evangelical Missions Quarterly, World Pulse, Christianity Today, Zondervan, David C. Cook, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School or the countless boards to which he gave his time, Jim called believers to know Jesus and respond to His calling on their lives. And he had that role in my life.

While Jim was teaching at Trinity, my mom took one of his classes. She loved it so much that she encouraged me to connect with Jim. I did and the result was a semester-long self-study course in Jim’s living room learning how to write. He taught me to find the powerful stories, to hone every word and to make those words count for the Kingdom. I would drive to Jim’s home in a leafy, tree-lined neighborhood in Wheaton, Illinois each week for our afternoon sessions. We would lean into his dining room table wrestling over writing concepts and troublesome sentences. He helped me learn to craft complex ideas into clear thinking; which produced clear writing.

Jim went on to be a close friend, a mentor and a constant door-opener. We shared many laughs and times of personal encouragement. He gave me my first opportunity to publish an article. He worked with me to secure my first book contract that he co-edited with me. Jim not only taught me how to write, he opened up the world of professional writing to me.

But that was who he was. He was a man of action. And his passion for seeing people grow to be who God made them to be caused him to invest in others. I remember the many meetings we had at a local diner in Wheaton as we worked on the Innovation in Mission book. Each session was an opportunity to move the project forward, but more importantly he was helping me move forward.

I can’t imagine moving forward in mission without Jim’s words of wisdom. So it’s a good thing Jim spent all his time pointing me and others to Jesus. Jim’s influence on my life did not leave me more tied to him, but instead more dependent on my Savior and His call on my life.

So let’s pause to thank God for Jim, pray for his family and then get on with the work. As a man of action, I know Jim would be very disappointed if we got distracted, even for a moment, from God’s mission in this world.

Comments