Our team at Generous Mind is privileged to partner with The Seed Company / OneVerse, an innovative Bible translation minsitry equipping local believers in countries around the world to translate the Bible.
Recently they launched an exciting challenge and the Hirst family jumped at the opportunity. They are asking people around the world to make a stack of all their Bibles and then ask God what they can do to help those who don't have a single word of Scripture in their own language.
So we shared the ground rules with our kids and we all began scouring the house looking for all the Bibles in our home. Now to be fair we should note that Jon used to work for the Forum of Bible Agencies and has a Bible collection from many different countries.
So when the exercise was all done, we identified that we had 71 Bibles, portions and Bible story books in our home. Wow! Who would have imagined that many hiding on various shelves, dressers and end tables around the house.
So what did we learn?
- Mindy: "We could be more organized! :)"
- Adin: "Some people don't have Bibles."
- Isa: "That "Da Jesus Book" is pretty much the same as an English Bible but different - its in Hawaian Pidgin."
- Emi: "I don't want to say. :("
- Jon: We use the Bible in lots of different ways in our house and sometimes we don't even realize it.
The resounding answer was "Rich!"
Finally we asked how we could be generous with the Bible since God has blessed us with so much access. Here are some of the ideas our family shared:
- Write a Bible verse in a card or letter.
- Tell someone a verse.
- Sponsor a verse. (with The Seed Company of course!)
- Give a Bible to someone we know.
- Become a translator of God's Word.
We decided that we will give a dollar for every Bible in our house. So we look forward to giving The Seed Company $71.00 towards helping End Bible Poverty around the world.
So what are you going to do?
We challenge you to check out more about the Bible Stack Challenge and then join in personally or as a family. Ask God to move in your heart as you do the activity and show you how you can be involved in ending Bible poverty around the world.
Once you have participated don't forget to go back to the blog and share your stack with others. You can also share it on their facebook page