The Gift of Forming Opinions

Maybe more people have this problem than I think…I don’t know. But I have trouble forming opinions. I like to keep the oh-so-valued open mind, seeing something from different angles, but sometimes this makes it difficult to make decisions. Ok, it makes it hard to make ANY decisions. I can’t decide whether I like a set of curtains, want to go to a certain restaurant or think a meeting went well or not.
Forming an opinion can be a gift and a talent. It takes the ability to take a complex situation (because face it, just about everything in this world is complicated), factor in the known and the unknown, and decide about what you think so you can take action.
I don’t do this on purpose, but I tend to surround myself with people who have strong opinions. (Notice I didn’t use the word “opinionated” which has negative connotations for me.) It helps me to figure out what I think when I hear several people explain to me their point of view.
Take yesterday for example. I had a hair dilemma. So what did I do? I went to the expert, my sister. I told her my dilemma and my goals and she gave me quick advice. Hardly a blink and she sent me a message back that got to the root of the issue (no pun there, really). With her opinions in my pocket, I took them to the salon and got (what I think) is a great haircut that will help me accomplish what I want to do with my hair.
What does this have to do with being a generous mind? Well, without the input she gave me, I could have remained in limbo-land indefinitely. Her input was an act of generosity which I am extremely grateful for.
Of course there is always the problem of getting unsolicited advice and overbearing opinions, but this does not undermine the good an opinion can do at the right time and place. Learning to give appropriately is another gift and talent.
Have you ever thought of your opinions as something to be shared generously?

Comments