What I should have done with my sick day

Yesterday I was sick . . . I didn't sleep well and that just added to the misery. So there I was in bed on a beautiful Colorado Spring day . . . sick.

There were limited things I could have done, being miserable and all, but I wasn't completely out of it. Actually my brain was working overtime thinking of all the things I had wanted to do that day. I had deadlines to make, emails to write, etc. So I spent much of the day worried about what I could not do and trying to do just a little of it without allowing myself to feel even worse. But towards the end of the day, I started to think about what I should have done with my sick day.

In reality, sick days are unplanned moments when life has to stop because our bodies require it. They provide a way for us to slow down and a chance to process. As I debriefed my sick day experience, I realized that I should have used that time to listen to God, ask questions about how I am spending my time and consider ideas that I have not taken the time to process. If I had done this, I would have come out of my sick day with new insights. Instead, I came out of it just one day behind.

This lesson is my only insight from a day in recovery. Could there have been more? I'm sure there could have. So next time you are sick, look at the day as a chance to restock your Generous Mind with ideas and insights to share with others.

Comments