Reflecting on a long trip

Have you ever taken a long trip that has a lot of small destinations built in? I was just on one of those and it is an interesting experience. While there is a big story of the whole trip, there are dozens of little stories about each small piece. It is a great way to look at the journey of our life and then all the small things that happen within that.

Our life's journey - our personal metanarrative - paints one picture. But we have hundreds of smaller pictures being painted. It is a bit like a montage - a picture made up of hundreds of other pictures.

While we are creating this metanarrative we are living out these different smaller stories. Each one will have a resolution and that resolution will be an element of the bigger picture.

I think this is a hard thing to accept. I want to be in control of the big picture and how it comes out but I am not faithful many times in the small stories - in my lack of follow-through on the small stories I loose out on the impact of the greater story.

What small story are you living today?

Comments